After viewing Michael Moore’s latest film, Planet of the Humans, I got into some intense discussions with progressive friends who really disliked the movie as well as my promoting it online. The outcome was my essay, “Damn Dirty Humans!: Planet of the Humans and Progressive Denial”.
One progressive friend, Mark Green, wrote a response, and there followed a back-and-forth series of posts between us, which I think was very illuminating. You can read the whole exchange here:
- “Damn Dirty Humans!: ‘Planet of the Humans’ and Progressive Denial” by John Halstead
- “Why The Doomsters are Completely Wrong” by Mark Green
- “Beyond Doom: A Response to Mark Green” by John Halstead
- “The Doomsaying Simply Isn’t Helping: More on My Exchange with John Halstead” by Mark Green
- “Part 5 of the Halstead-Green debate” by John Halstead
- “In Which Straw Men Get Punched—More on Halstead/Green” by Mark Green
I also turned #3 above into an essay geared for a more general audience entitled, “Why I Am Not A ‘Doomer’ “.
I think we exhausted the topic for now. I appreciate Mark. He’s a thoughtful critic and provided an worthy foil for me to develop my ideas.