I would like to tell you that this little spiritual practice transformed my experience. That, from that point on, I existed in a state of mystical union with the forest and its inhabitants. But that’s not what happened.
Connecting with a place or the other-than-human being who inhabit a place happens the same way as connecting to another human being …
“The nature of this earth is change. The nature of this earth is endings. The nature of this earth is extinction.”
1. Civilization is not the World.
2. Civilization is just a story.
3. Someday humans will die.
4. The World is more important than humans.
5. The problem is self-correcting.
6. We are returning to right relationship with the World.
We’re doomed. But the reasons why have less to do with parts-per-million or degrees centigrade than they do with human psychology and culture: